Hiring is the most important thing you do.

Remote Work.<br />
Avoid Layoffs. Layoffs are a near term productivity booster by the number-- but only the numbers. We hate layoffs. Everyone hates layoffs.
The One Big Idea for Companies
January 16, 2023

Follow us on your favorite social for daily insights!

Improve my hiring

Short or Long Term, Which is right for your Company?

Table of Contents
2
3

Hire Entry People Only

Why is this the one big idea for companies?

Just for a moment, step back from your belief that the right way to hire is to find the most experienced person you can afford. That’s a quick way to spend money in exchange for mediocrity. There are ways to fix this problem if you do agree with our experience.

We all know the arguments against hiring entry levels

We are certain arguments will be made that resemble the following:

“Entry level people can’t manage a team, can’t hit sales targets, don’t understand marketing, are not qualified to negotiate and manage vendors, can’t maintain commercial air conditioning systems, etc.”

We agree. Train them. Think “Apprentices.”

“Entry level people take too long to become productive.”

You are paying them a certain wage until they are productive. Then you can determine their long term value to your company.

“There is a high turnover rate with entry level people.”

This is true, when systems to vet entry level applicants are not in place. 

Check those arguments at the door. Read on. We have one big idea for companies.

This one big idea for companies works for many reasons

What makes a big idea effective?

First

They are blank slates. They come with nothing but enthusiasm and basic skills. They are free of bad habits developed within past work environments.  

Second 

They are eager to learn and receptive to training.  

Third

They want to believe in your product or service.  They have never experienced a product or service delay or failure. Let’s face it every company has them.  

Fourth

They want to succeed. They want to advance their careers and they want to do it with your company.  

Fifth

They are far less expensive.  

Sixth

They are receptive to professional criticism if it helps to advance their career. 

What they need from you.  

Proper Onboarding

We can all use some work on this. Educating entry levels on company expectations for their role is key. Clearly define performance milestones – this doesn’t need to be fancy; a PowerPoint will do – in fact, Gen Z’ers love PowerPoints. Simple outlines of key concepts. Gen Z for sure learned this way in high school and college. It’s familiar.  

Teach the culture too. Are you 8:00 – 5:00ers, 9:00 to 6:00ers, something else? Are you project or process biased. Is it about deliverables or is it about evolution. They need to know this.  

Benefits

More than just a selection of healthcare and 401k options. More than, “Here are the brochures”. Actually, teach them about it.   

Training unique to your company – systems, services, products, client/customer types  

A Mentor

Yes this is an overused buzz word. Someone that is both a teacher and a believer in your company. Someone that has succeeded at the entry level position. That last point is the most important!

What about the need for more senior hires? Sure they happen. People vacate positions or move to other companies.  

Put the one big idea for companies in play. If your company has been training and mentoring people properly – you should be promoting from within 90% of the time to fill management and senior positions. The other 10% of the time happens.

Join the Conversation. Influence our World.

0 Comments

Learn more about the CareerNet Companies

Just Interview

Short-term solutions to critical hiring needs. Interview ready candidates.

CareerNet Nation

Developing professionals from all backgrounds for better jobs and careers.

LearnNet

LMS designed by teachers for students. Managed responsibly by CareerNet.

CareerNet

Wholistic hiring solutions companies count on for the long-term.